Tuesday, June 21, 2011

To Cloth or Not To Cloth....Tis The Question.


Cloth Diapers….I seem to get mixed feelings when people find out that we cloth diaper.
What I can’t figure out is why?
1.       It’s CHEAP!!!!!!
2.       It’s super easy
3.       It feels great being green
4.       It’s better for her bum. and as we all know a happy baby is a happy mama!
5.       Well they are just so much cuter than disposable diapers.

So I’ve decided to do a picture tutorial on how we cloth diaper if you have any questions feel free to ask! I would love to answer any questions you may have. Cloth diapering has been an interesting journey for us but my wallet and I are so glad I decided to try it again after the first failed attempt. Enjoy!

Our list of products:
20- Prefolds, we have an assortment. A few Green Mountain Diapers, Bummis and both kinds of Gerber.
7- Thirsties Duo Wraps
4-Hemp Boosters
3- Snappies
A Roll of Bummis’s large Bio-Soft Liners
3- Tote bags- 1 small, med, and lg. I use the small for day trips and I swap the large and medium between laundries.
1-Magic Stick, diaper protection (I liked it because it’s in stick form and it smells delicious)
Thirsties Pre-Soak and Superwash!
We even have a Bummis Cloth Swim Diaper =)
This list is simply what we have, they does not mean it’s exactly what you need. I feel our system works great for us, it took me a minute to get used to it but now I love it. So don’t read this list and think oh crap you need all that! You don’t. It is simply what I have found to work well for us.
This is my stash of covers drying and/or waiting to be used, with the wet bag holding all the dirties. The little purple on is my “outing bag” small enough yet large enough to hold a day’s worth of diapers.


The types of prefolds I own from left to right. 1st is the Gerber Weave Flatfold- barely absorbent, will work though. Personally I use these at home when I know she’ll need a change soon. 2nd is Gerber Gauze Weave- these are more absorbent than the 1st but still not the best. 3rd is Bummis which happens to be my favorite, its soft and super absorbent. 4th is a Green Mountain Diaper, not sure what size I had Berne shorten them for me! These are just as comparable as the Bummis. I would not recommend spending your money on the Gerber but if you already have them they will work.

These are hemp “boosters” just a little something you can throw in to make your diaper more absorbent. I got these on consignment. I use them during nap time or if I know we’re going to be out and about running errands.
The Accessories!
The Bummis Bio-Liners, Snappies and Magic Stick. The Bio-liners are a godsend. Plain and simple these will save your diapers from major direct poop contact! (Ha ha poo, TAKE THAT!) You lift and flush, most of the time the entire mess is contained so then you good to go. The Snappies is a genius invention, an EASY to use fastener that offers a PRACTICAL and RELIABLE way to fasten a cloth diaper, replacing the diaper pin. It is T-shaped with 'teeth' on each end. These 'teeth' hook into the diaper fabric to ensure a snug-fitting diaper with enough natural movement for the baby. YAY! And lastly the MAGIC STICK…as you probably do not know, you are not suppose to use conventional diaper creams with CD generally this makes your diapers less absorbent. Magic stick is an all natural diapering ointment. Easy to use magic stick goes on smooth and keeps baby’s delicate area protected and comfortable. Magic stick's all natural, organic ingredients and petroleum-free formula is safe to use with cloth or disposable diapers. This is a link you can check out to see if your diaper cream is CD compatible http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/diaperrashcreams.htm .
Thirsties Pre-Wash and Super Wash! This is the genius, no brainer laundry detergent! I have not had a single problem with diaper rash or anything of its kind since I switched over to Thirsties. I tried Rock Green and some off brand detergent both of these caused an awful rash and really stinky diaper every time! After one load of laundry with the Thirsties wah-la the problem solved! I generally wash diapers every 3-4 days.
Bummis Swimmi, well the picture says enough…it’s so cute! I got a little surfer girl top to go with it! <3


Flip disposable inserts. These are made by BumGenius and are great to keep on hand for those times when you just need a sposie. I like to use these at night time or for a really long car ride they are great! Just lay it in your cover and close it up.


 Pictured Below: The following is step-by-step photos of start to finish putting the diaper on.

Start here.

lay insert over center for easy poo removal

Place baby on the back half, if your prefold is too long fold over any extra material.

Secure sides with one hand.
Tuck down and

Secure in place with a Snappi

Put cover of choice on. My favorite of course is Thirsties Duo Diaper Wrap!!!

You can also watch the following video tutiorial on youtube:
Just a few facts about why you should choose cloth diapers!

HAPPY BABY = HAPPY MAMA!




1 comment:

  1. If your interested in winning a Thirsties Duo Wraps with Hemp Prefolds. Go to the Thirsties Thursday Giveaway! http://www.thirstiesbaby.com/blog/thirsties-thursday-giveaway-3/#comment-2020

    ReplyDelete